At Kaimata School we value each community member's individuality, their unique abilities that make them special. We believe that every person has a vital role to play in contributing to our school. We also keenly encourage and develop the sense of community between students, staff, parents and wider community members. We actively seek to develop and maintain a supportive school environment.
A supportive school environment is one where:
- All members of the school community feel safe and are valued
- Social and academic outcomes are maximised for all, through quality practices in the areas of curriculum, interpersonal relationships and school organization
- Non-violent, non-coercive and non-discriminatory language and practices are defined, modelled and reinforced by all members of the school community
- Suspension and exclusion procedures are considered only when all other approaches have been exhausted or rejected.
At Kaimata, all students are encouraged to become responsible, confident, self-motivated and cooperative individuals, who aspire to achieve their maximum potential within a safe and supportive multi-age setting.
OUR STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Our school’s vision is underpinned by the following principles.
We strive to:
- Foster within our students a love of learning and equip them with the necessary skills and thinking tools to achieve their maximum potential
- Encourage our students to respect the rights, property and opinions of themselves and others
- Provide opportunities for our students to become active and informed participants who contribute to society
- Create a safe, understanding and supportive environment for our students, staff and community
- Establish and enhance programs which cater for the individual needs of our students and staff, their diverse learning styles, abilities, social and cultural backgrounds
- Implement initiatives which foster co-operative partnerships amongst our students, staff, parents and the wider community through effective communication.
OUR VALUES AND BELIEFS
- Student's need to be viewed as unique individuals with differing needs, interests, values, expectations and abilities
- Student's develop and learn at different rates
- Student's self esteem directly relates to their performance in all areas
- Student's should accept responsibility for their own actions or inactions
- Student's should be encouraged to become independent learners
- Student's have a natural desire to learn. This eagerness and curiosity should be fostered by parents and teachers
- Student's learning will be fostered by providing "hands-on" experiences and also opportunities for them to talk about and discuss various aspects of their work.
- The teaching of thinking skills must be part of daily teaching practice
- A student’s progress and development should be continuously assessed
- A student’s learning is assisted when the influences of the home and school are in harmony
- Students need to develop the skills which will help them function independently in society
- Learning experiences can be initiated by the student as well as the teacher
- Self assessment is an important part of all teaching/learning experiences
- Learning is facilitated when there is a climate of sincerity and openness in relationships between teachers, parents and children
- Parents and teachers need to encourage students to respect the rights, property and opinions of other individuals
- Teachers and parents need to be aware of students' learning styles
- Parents have a responsibility to be aware of the educational programs being implemented in the child's classroom. The school has responsibilities in supporting this process of awareness
- Teachers are individuals and will use different teaching styles to promote learning
- Teachers need to respond to changes in society and technology and how these impact on educational practices
- A positive attitude towards life and learning in particular, is vital to all students, parents and teachers;
- Talents and skills of community members can be used to enhance learning.
PROACTIVE PRACTICES AT KAIMATA
- Open communication between staff, students, parents and the community
- Friendliness and respect of staff and students